Friday 1 May 2009

The line...

It has always made me laugh in marketing circles - the line - you know
  • below the line
  • above the line
  • through the line
  • online
  • offline
Probably a few more lines out there, but has anyone ever asked what is the line?

There must be a point at which offline & online meet - or below the line becomes above the line. I know that talking about a line must have been a very clever analogy at one stage - but it is time for the line to go, and be replaced.

Now I'm certainly not clever enough to come up with a newer better description - and to be fair it took a little time for it to become mainstream business language, but surely someone, somewhere can take this across the line and give us all a better line to use.

As it is Friday (and there are probably people out there in blog land who really really care about the line and its meaning) here is the best (and shortest) explanation I could find - though if you are really interested here is the link to Wikipedia. Please note the description below is not associated with me in any way.
"..So whether the best direction for our client is above the line (brand), below the line (direct), through the line (brand and response), online or offline, we have the expertise..."
- Zed Media
That's it - no more talk about the line - for those, sick to death of the line like me - try these

Ok, that's me - no more mention of lines from me ever

Enjoy your weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment